Guy is a Clinical Psychologist with over 25 years of clinical experience. In that time, Guy has refined his skills in the art of therapy – helping people to gain a better understanding of themselves and their difficulties.
Guy started his career, and has extensive experience as, a child and family clinical psychologist. However, since starting at Holdsworth House Medical Practice in 1996, he has been providing therapy for adults.
Guy has extensive training and experience in helping with a range of human problems & challenges, including:
– Depression – episodic, recurring & long term
– Anxiety – excessive worry, panic, social phobia, OCD
– Relationship difficulties & conflicts
– Trauma – early and recent traumas
– Bereavement, loss & grief
– Sexuality, gender, sexual functioning, HIV
– Self-esteem & self-confidence
– Anger problems
– Transitions in career and personal life
– Alcohol & drug related problems including smoking cessation
Guy has a particular interest in problems that are difficult to shift.
In his approach to therapy, Guy integrates a comprehensive assessment, and he is careful about developing a non-judgemental therapeutic relationship with all clients, so that they can feel safe to explore their personal problems.
Guy uses a range of evidenced-based approaches, which include increasing awareness and understanding, as well as developing cognitive-behavioural skills (CBT, ACT, mindfulness) to enhance coping, and to work through persistent patterns of behavioural and emotional difficulties, enabling people to make positive changes in their lives.
Guy is a member of the College of Clinical Psychologists, within the Australian Psychological Society.